8/15/08

Studies on TV and sexual content

I just ran across this post on a compilation of several studies from various 'pro-family' organizations on the amount of sexual content on network TV and also the ratios of favorable depictions of traditional sexual behavior within a marriage vs. favorable depictions of extra-marital or deviant sexual behavior.

Here is one quote: "By the time a child reaches age 8 he or she will have seen 58,400 scenes of sexual content"

Honestly, I begin to wonder if one can even be a responsible Christian parent AND allow children to watch television as the sexual envelope is pushed further and further and further. This is something that distresses me a great deal because it is so prevelant, the thought of trying to 'turn back the tide' of sexual images that our pop culture has immersed us in is rather overwhelming to me.

Read the full article here.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger methodist monk said...

Interesting article, I couldn't find any mention of "cable tv" such as Nick at Night, Disney, ABC Family, Public Television and other sources of TV besides broadcast TV. The article started me thinking by its wording. How many of shows like "The Office" (one of my favorites) are deemed to have "sexual content" because of their rating system? The Office does come on in the "family hour" and does make sexual innuendos (That's what she said), but yet I really don't think about it too much.

I know one thing. When I was growing up Nickelodeon and PBS where about what I could watch by myself. I didn't have my own tv in my room until I was 14. So how much of this is a parent thing? i.e. parenting by TV?

11:29 AM, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon said...

haha, I think I had a tv in my room at 12 or 13 - but I didn't always have cable. We mostly watched movies. Still is what I mostly watch at home.

The Office is one of my favorites (that and Lost are the only shows I watch that are still in production) too, but it definitely has some stuff that wouldn't have been appropriate for children (some of the stuff surrounding Jan's boob-job come to mind - all to readily).

I've tried to be more picky about what TV shows and movies I'll give my viewership to. I try to avoid the stuff that has lots of sexual images in it (and gratuitous violence against non-combatants; though I still enjoy war/action movies), both for my own spirit's sake, and as a form of protest. Sadly this has meant an almost total fast of comedy movies. Pixar films, are for this reason a great event in my world! haha.

4:24 PM, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon said...

oh yes - it seems to me that (though I have no before and after study to back this up) that the introduction of the ratings system led to a sharp increase in both sexual and violent content on television - especially on cable

4:28 PM, August 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home