7/28/08

6 Denominations in 6 weeks

I'm in college ministry. Which, among other things, means that I occassionally read "Relevant" magazine (although, such a ridiculous name almost prevents my reading it) because the Wesley Ministry has a subscription. Not too long ago I ran across this interesting article: 6 Denominations in 6 weeks. The author, himself a Southern Baptist, visited 6 new churches and kept a journal of his reflections. It's a great story that can spur some good thinking.

I have a couple of reactions: his experience at The United Methodist Church seems a bit un-remarkable (although his description of the Presbyterian Church might be closer to what some larger Methodist Churches are like). His contrast between the Episcopal Church (week 5) and the Assembly of God Church (week 6) is really telling. Lots of folks have been talking about how different this generation is from our parents who invented the 'seeker service.' I think this is another example.

Go read it and tell me what do ya'll think?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger John T. Meche III said...

I think he just about pegs it, and he shows his age...right down to the youthful postmodern desire for the mystical. Hmm...I want to hear what he has to say about my reformed charismatic church...

3:43 PM, July 28, 2008  
Blogger Wesley said...

Hey Daniel, saw you on Nate's blog. Hope things are going well for you.

AS for the article:
I’d say he had a large bit of what Cranmer would have wanted him to have at the Episcopal service, allot of Catholic, with more devotional participation.

9:29 PM, July 31, 2008  
Blogger Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon said...

Hey Wesley,
the author, as John points out in the first comment, is like many postmoderns (including me) attracted to the liturgy because it goes beyond the merely rationalistic into the mystical without some of the pitfalls associated with say, the Pentecostal tradition (which is non-rationalistic, though sometimes in different ways).

I am devoted in my own situation to attempt to recover the liturgy for Methodists and others (especially evangelicals, since this is my own background) that I can influence - even as many Methodist congregations are only now getting on board with the "Seeker services" of 25 years ago and losing sight of the liturgy -- and doing so at the very moment that a whole generation of us younger folks are hungry for it.

Feel free to pray for us. As I continue to follow the Anglican Communion's seemingly endless deferral of decision-making I will pray for you as well.

4:29 PM, August 03, 2008  
Blogger Sara Fleming said...

i just found your blog through facebook...its awesome! i read the article and loved it...thanks for sharing :)

4:45 PM, August 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Relevant article was actually good this time! Based on the churches he went to, I think the Episcopal would have been my favorite as well instead of the one from my own denomination.

8:42 PM, August 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home