3/8/09

Finally, it has arrived

There are two Bibles I've been eagerly awaiting that have recently been published. One is The Wesley Study Bible recenty pubished by Abingdon Press. I have been using it at work and have been thoroughly pleased with it.

The other I picked up Sunday at Books-A-Million. I was totally surprised to see it there because I had heard that the project was delayed. I guess not.

That's right, Oxford University Press has recently released the English Standard Version with the Apocrypha! Till now, those of us in ecumenical Bible study settings that include Roman Catholics (as is the case at the campus ministry I serve) had few options if we wanted a Bible that included the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonical Books in a seperate section from the Old Testament. Since the ESV is among my favorite translations, I am glad to see that it is now one of my options.

No doubt, this new edition will also become a standard text at moderate Evangelical and Reformed seminaries as well. (Click picture for details)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew C. Thompson said...

Daniel -

I'd be curious as to whether you know what differences this Oxford version has from the ESV Study Bible (besides its inclusion of the Apocrypha). The ESV has been recommended to me by several people, and I almost picked up a copy of the study version over Christmas (though I can't remember the publisher). My frustration with the RSV and NRSV versions from Oxford in the past has been the brevity of their annotations. Is that a weakness of the new ESV they are putting out?

9:00 PM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon said...

Hey Andrew,
sadly, this is not a full study Bible, only the text and the textual notes (which in the ESV are a bit more extensive than the NRSV, but not too much).

I have heard from people whom I respect that the ESV "Literary Study Bible" is simply wonderful, but I have not spent much time in it personally. If you are looking for a study Bible in this translation that might be a good one to check out...

9:43 AM, March 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home