11/19/07

Bill Maher - prophet of the Lord?

I often disagree with Bill Maher (especially his atheism), but I'll watch him anyways when he's on TV because he's so dern clever - like Colbert, but more earnest.

But here, we are in nearly complete agreement. Maybe our lifestyles are unhealthy (and I would add, perhaps "unholy" is closely related) and our consumer-culture has taught us to assume that the answer can be bought in a store. And drug companies are happy to deliver. Maybe we should look to common sense, rather than commercial sensation, for guidance here?

That exercise is JUST as effective as drugs in curing depression was, I thought, especially important if it is true, as the book/movie by this title claimed, we have become a "prozac nation."

Of course, the question might easily arise (and should): where is the Church on this? Where are the clergy? If the problems (and rate hikes) of clergy health insurance in my conference are any indicator, the leaders of the Church, for our part, are not by-and-large modeling "whole-ly" living here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger John T. Meche III said...

mmm... yummy

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN2634369120061027

8:24 AM, November 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I can't afford pills or to go to the doctor or much of anything for that matter. So I know its not me. :)

As you say rate hikes coupled with HIGH deductibles.

But the other side to this argument is the example of my spouse who has been diagnosed with a condition (physical not mental) that requires daily medication for the rest of her life. Said medication is 200.00 a month and insurance doesn't cover any of it. So what do I do? What should I do?

12:07 PM, November 20, 2007  
Blogger Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon said...

Dear Anonymous,
Since I'm not sure who you are, I'm uncertain how serious to be in my reply (unless that was a rhetorical question). Feel free to shoot me an email.

12:59 PM, November 20, 2007  
Blogger John said...

The District Secretary asked if my church could hold our cluster charge conference. I went into the sanctuary and counted seats. I said that we had enough seat roomo for 88 people or about 50 UMC pastors.

I really don't care for Maher's political views, but he is right on about how important it us for us to take care of ourselves.

3:29 PM, November 26, 2007  
Blogger John T. Meche III said...

Hey man. I have decided to start a new Blogger blog. Come check me out!
http://crossdrivenblog.blogspot.com/

10:29 AM, November 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home