4/22/24

Why I moved to the Anglican Church

Since leaving the United Methodist Church (UMC) last year I'm no longer attached to any Methodist or Wesleyan denomination.  Yet I still consider myself a Methodist/Wesleyan pastor in the way of John Wesley himself.  He was the founder of the Methodist movement, but never part of a Methodist denomination.  As a matter of fact, John Wesley remained a lifelong member (and priest) in the Anglican church and said explicitly that he hoped Methodists would remain an organized spiritual movement inside the Anglican church.  

For Wesley, being "Methodist" was about a theological and spiritual approach to pursuing holiness, not about being part of a denomination in the modern sense.  The sad reality is that it is perfectly possible to be have the word "Methodist" on the sign in front of a church, but have no living connection to the spirituality and aims of the early Methodist movement.      

Following Wesley's hopes, I've recently been received into the Anglican Church in North America and have been ordained in the Diocese of the Western Gulf Coast.  Here is a video in which I go into detail about why and how I made that decision.   



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home