7/11/10

A United Methodist Monastery?

Today is the feast of St. Benedict, the father of Western monasticism. I've done a couple of quiet retreats in an Abbey down here in south Louisiana. In Tennessee I once went to the daily office at an Anglican monastery, and I've found the atmosphere of them to be quite peaceful and conducive to prayer and reflection.

Did you know that The United Methodist Church has an affiliated Benedictine monastery? I knew that the Anglicans and Lutherans had re-instituted classical monasticism, but I only recently heard about the formation (some 10 years ago) of St. Brigid of Kildare Monastery (now located in St. Joseph, Minnesota). They adhere to not only the Rule of St. Benedict, but also the liturgies and Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church (of which most of the brothers and sisters are members) and the writings of John Wesley. Members are both women and men, clergy and laity.

I think being United Methodist just got about 34 points cooler. And catholic. Here is a link to some info. There seems to be no official website or pictures anywhere. Also check Here.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Todd Stepp said...

Daniel,
For some time now, I've had a link to the same site that is listed on page that your post links to, on my blog under Other Wesleyan/Methodist Organizations, on my side bar. - It is interesting, isn't it.

Todd+

11:22 PM, July 13, 2010  
Blogger Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon said...

I'm going to have to pop by there if ever I make it to the area.

9:28 AM, July 14, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon,

Perhaps sometime during the last three years since the posting of the blog about St. Brigid's Monastery you discovered that this institution does have its own website at:
http://www.kildaremonastery.com/

Reading their site and checking out the article on the monastery posted in Wikipedia was interesting and informative.

As a Roman Catholic who has visited many Benedictine monasteries. In addition, I have had retreats at some of them as well as spending from 1-2 weeks in a "monastery for a time" programs.

May the Holy Trinity guide and bless you throughout the New Year of 2014.

Prayerfully,

Adrian Lukas

2:07 AM, January 24, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home