11/17/08

The trends in Evangelicalism

I just read this really interesting article at ChristianityToday.com. It is about the trends of changing beliefs and attitudes among evangelical pastors. I guess I might fit well into this trend for a more comprehensive, discipleship and Kingdom-oriented understanding of the gospel (rather than simply a conversion-oriented understanding). There is an increasing stress on sanctification and spiritual formation. A greater emphasis on cross-shaped service, especially to those on the margins of society. People are focusing more on the Gospels in their preaching and teaching and not only on the Pauline epistles. The description of the changes among these evangelical pastors left me with two thoughts: 1) they are taking a very Wesleyan direction (whether or not they realize it), and 2) it looks like lots of people have been reading N.T. Wright.

Good news at both points, I think. I can't help but wonder if The United Methodist Church, the institutional child of the original Wesleyan movement, will get on board. Here is a quote from the article:

Scot McKnight, professor of biblical and theological studies at North Park University in Chicago and popular blogger (JesusCreed.org) said that he considers the survey results "very good news. The shifts have actually been going on for maybe 25 or 30 years. There has, though, been a surge in the last ten years. Evangelicals rediscovered the Gospels, and began to reframe their understanding of the gospel in terms of the Kingdom and not just justification."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger John T. Meche III said...

Man, next time you're in town we need to designate some time for one of our grand chats. I really want to dig into some of this stuff with you. Sorry I've been so busy the last time or two that you've come.

7:27 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon said...

haha, yeah man you with your family and all! I'll definitely call you next time I'm around NOLA. I may be in BR this weekend some...

8:50 AM, November 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home